Are you someone who is slightly confused about FASTag, or how does FASTag works, or how to check FASTag balance? You are in right place. Know all about FASTag and especially about the balance and to use it here.
What is FASTag?
India is moving towards digitization rapidly. Almost all the payments are now digital. So why not toll charges? To make the toll charges payment/receive, the National Highways Authorities of India (NHAI) took the initiative and rolled out the program. So, FASTag is nothing but a process of Electronic Toll Collection on Toll Plazas on National Highways. So let’s put one step more towards Digital India.
What are the benefits of FASTag?
Advantages of FASTag
- Cashless transaction
- Less time consuming
- No hidden cost
- Everything is documented and safely saved
- Complete transparency between the collector and payer
- Easy and convenient
- Hassle-free recharge from Credit Card/Debit Cards/RTGC/NEFT/Net Banking
- Valid for 5 years
- Reduces traffic
- Easy to know how to check FASTag balance anytime
What are the drawbacks of FASTag?
Disadvantages of FASTag
Safety: It can be stolen or lost.
Unemployment: Many people who had been hired for toll collection may lose their jobs
Internet Issue: Many a time, due to lack of internet or because of slow internet, the transaction may get hampered
Server Issue: The server may go down at any time (which is rare though) and the transaction time may get delayed
The government has made it mandatory for all vehicles (both private and commercial). As an owner or driver, you need to have enough balance from where the required amount or charges will get deducted. To help everyone, the banks are also making the process easy such as easy transactions, maintaining transparency, and making people aware of how to check FASTag balance.
How does FASTag work?
- FASTag works in a simple and hassle-free quick way. Whenever your vehicle crosses or reaches any toll plaza, the Electronic Toll Collection (ETC) system captures the FASTTag and encrypts all the details like vehicle class, tag id, etc.
- Then the ETC system sends the captured information to the respective bank or wallet (Paytm, etc) for further processing.
- The bank then sends a request to the National Electric Toll Collection (NETC) mapper for further verification.
- Then NETC sends a confirmation with details such as vehicle class, id status, etc only if the tag gets validated, else, it will respond as the tag needs to be registered first.
- If everything is correct then the acquirer host will evaluate the toll fare and initiates the debit process with NETC.
- NETC then forwards the same to the issuer or to the bank/wallet.
- Then, the debit happens from the bank, and payment gets done.
- A confirmation SMS alert goes to both the car owner or the FASTag owner and to the NETC.
- An owner finds no problem in making any transaction, or in using the app or how to check FASTag balance, etc
How to check FASTag balance?
How to check FASTag balance with banks
If you are getting your FASTag from any bank, then you will be allowed to use that bank’s FASTag portal. Your FASTag account and your bank account will be interconnected. To know your FASTag account balance, you just need to login to the bank’s FASTag portal and that’s all.
How to check FASTag balance with Paytm wallet
Digital wallets like Paytm, are providing hassle-free FASTag accounts. If you have purchased your FASTag from Paytm mall then it’s very easy. The Paytm balance itself is your FASTag account balance. This is as simple as it is.
How to check FASTag balance with NHAI wallet
In this case, you must have ordered your FASTag online from the MyFastag app and your NHAI wallet must have activated. Here, you just need to login to your MyFastag app where you will get to see the NHAI wallet. There you are. You can now see your FASTag account balance.
Major initiatives/incentives from the Government
- The government has taken some initiatives or has made some rules to provide some sort of incentives to encourage car owners to have FASTag. The toll charge payments will get a 2.5% discount whereas, cash payments will be doubled.
- However, from January 1, 2021, the government has made it mandatory for everyone.
- There is a FASTag issuance charge of rupees 100 which will get waived off later.
This another great initiative for India towards digitization. It will reduce human error and the process will become faster and transparent, easy to use, and know basic pieces of information like how to check FASTag balance, etc. Everything will be in record in multiple servers. It will be hassle free and reduce traffic drastically. Let’s welcome this initiative and use the FASTag and move ahead to make ourselves digital.